Friday, April 20, 2012

Not at Home

What I am about to reveal may come as a shocker to some of you, but it is the truth. I am a homebody. Don't get me wrong, I love to travel, as you well know, and I love seeking out new adventures. I also love coming home that first night from a long trip and sleeping in my own bed, with my own pillow, in my own sheets that smell like Gain detergent which cover the squishiest mattress that I simply adore. My daily routine consists largely of me staying inside my home because I have a lot of favorite indoor activities that I like to do every day. I actually have to force myself to go outside just to get some vitamin D and a nice jog. But, usually, I stay inside until I have to go to work in the afternoon. This may sound silly, and it may sound lame, but it is who I am. When I was a little girl, I was the quiet one who preferred to read for long periods of time rather than play with the neighborhood kids in our alley. If I did go outside, it was to chase squirrels, sit on the back deck with just my dog, or once again...read for a long period of time. I was never lonely, and it never bothered me. In fact, I reveled in my stealthy ability to escape all forms of society, especially when my mom would suddenly realize she hadn't seen me around for quite some time and would shout, "Beth? Beth? Where's Beth?" I rarely answered her and would smile briefly before returning to my book pages. I suppose that being a homebody has cultivated a wild imagination for me. I still like to dream up stories and personal adventures, and I am rarely bored because of that. It has also helped me balance out my travel pursuits, knowing that even if I go far away to exotic places, there is no place like home and it is always waiting for me. My particular case of preferring to stay in my home environment does not ever keep me from staying in one place for very long, however. I still retain that impish itch to find the new, the alluring, the charming, the delicious, the fun, the adventures that call my soul into searching. Yet when those longings subside, I am ever-content to knit, paint, read, and watch Pride and Prejudice for the gazillionth time in my home. Yes, I love my home. Tonight, I will not be sleeping at home, but it is only for a short while. Fortunately, I am only a few blocks from home tonight (working this weekend babysitting my favorite little ones while their parents are on vacation) and I was able to swing by my apartment today to pick up my pillow. If I can't have my whole bed to sleep in tonight, at least I will have my pillow that smells like home, for the time being. Speaking of not being home, I will be sure to post about my recent trip to Cancun, Mexico!!! It was a super fun one, and staying at any Westin almost feels like home to me. Ha! I even thought that as soon as I walked into the lobby and smelled that signature Westin odor. Well happy weekend!!! Here's to thoughts of home.

4 comments:

  1. hello!

    check your email, you won my giveaway for the baked cookbooks and brownie mixes.
    Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have 3 days left to claim your prize.
    I haven't heard from you....
    please email me....
    hate to redraw another winner :-(

    ReplyDelete