Saturday, March 31, 2012

Dim Sum is Some Fun

I have had many a culinary experience whilst living in New York City, save for a very essential one...Dim Sum in Chinatown.

I woke up this morning not wanting to leave the warmth and coziness of my bed. I knew it was going to be a cold and rainy day, and with this knowledge, it makes it very difficult to leave the comfort of slumber. Alas, Patrick made me an offer I couldn't refuse. If I got into the shower, he would make coffee, otherwise it would have been the other way around. I relented and trudged my sleepy self into the bathroom and got ready to meet up with our friends, Tanya and Jeremy, for our dim sum date.

Not knowing what to expect, I went along merrily (the shower and coffee woke me up and the excitement overtook any ideas of sleep) wondering what I was about to encounter. Patrick and I found our friends in the Grand Street subway station, and coming from two different areas of the city, this was quite an amazing feat that we unknowingly accomplished.

Traveling through the streets of Chinatown is like being in another world, and I love it. Store fronts are decorated with roasting ducks and animal parts that are too strange to figure out. Fruit and vegetables of unknown origins peppered with the familiar apples, tomatoes, and oranges line grocery doorways. All signs are labeled in Chinese, and some are kind enough to have English translations so you know what you are getting yourself into. And let's not forget all the jewelry, handbags, watches, and sunglasses that are offered every 10 steps you take. "Nice lady, you want handbag?" Good thing I have mastered the art of ignoring people who are trying to sell their wares.

Upon entering our restaurant of choice called Jing Fong, I was in awe of the dim sum experience immediately. As soon as you step into the foyer, you hop onto the forever long escalator ride into a Chinese wonderland of glitz and glamor. Gaudy and sparkly chandeliers hang from the ceiling, and there are hundreds of tables covered in fresh white linens, and of course there is red and gold in all of the decor.

The four of us were seated, and Patrick and I sat back as Tanya and Jeremy began requesting our food from the steam baskets that contained all sorts of dumplings, spring rolls, pork products, items wrapped in leaves, seafood stuffed rice wrappers...you name it, they had it. To keep track of all that we ordered, we were given a piece of paper (our bill) and they stamped it for each item we took off of the cart. And I must not forget the tea! Everyone is given Chinese tea, and they refill it as many times as needed. Here is a fun fact for you. Dim sum in Cantonese means "drink tea."

It was a wonderful way to begin a Saturday morning.






















I am eating rice and pork wrapped up in leaves. So good!

















Patrick was given a fork after struggling with his chopsticks


















Jeremy and Tanya enjoying their dim sum! Good times with good friends.

















I call this one the open faced crab dumpling. It was super delish.






















One of the waitresses with her cart o' steam baskets.

Thanks to Tanya and Jeremy for asking us to do this with them. We had a blast with ya'll!

No comments:

Post a Comment